EDIT EDIT EDIT: Wrapped up, all done! Thanks so much everyone!
EDIT EDIT: I’ve added 7 additional prizes at the bottom of this post. That’s in addition to the big one-of-everything main giveaway.
EDIT: It turns out you can’t run a raffle in North Carolina. Who knew?? Probably most people, and I should have researched that beforehand, during the first blush of “oh I know a way to drum up some money for TCAF tickets!” So I’m going to treat this as a funding drive. At the end of the drive, which I’m going to move up to Monday, January 28 at 9pm, I’ll do a number of random giveaways, based on the total proceeds. I can’t call it a “raffle,” but I will work out a way to honor the original intent and amount of any donations already received, as well as any going forward. If you have any problems at all with this, just email me and I’ll cheerfully refund your donation in full. And thanks for your patience with my blurry language as I try to ferret out a path through this publicly.
Original post below:
So here’s a thing I’m going to do, one week from today, to cobble together some money to buy my flight to Toronto and this summer’s Toronto Comic Arts Festival. I’m going to raffle off a set of more-or-less everything I have for sale, including stuff that’s long gone (where I still have copies). $1 a throw, no catch, just Paypal me $1 or more here, and I’ll stick your name in a little Excel sheet. If you send $10, I’ll stick your name in 10 times. On Friday February 1 I’ll have someone pick a random number, and the winner will get all this stuff shipped to them totally free, anywhere in the world.
Here’s what I have so far. I might add some other stuff if it pops up, but this seems like quite a lot already:
1) Diary Comics #1 (long out of print) | $6
2) Diary Comics #2 (out of print) | $10
3) Diary Comics #3 | $10
4) Diary Comics #4 | $10
5) Dharbin 1-2 Collected Edition | $5
6) Enquirer Dharbin, 8-page newspaper (long out of print) | $1
7) Superior Showcase #3, my first published work. Terrible story by me, great stories by Laura Park, Jim Rugg & Brian Maruca | $3
8) Papercutter #11, includes 1-page story by me | $4
9) Nutted! (long out of print) | $3
10) Booth #4, literary journal of Butler College, includes a cover and about 12-15 pages of comics by me, colored for this edition. Not widely available | $8
11) The Blue Cross, part of the Great Shorts series. Story by G.K. Chesterton, with illustrations by me | $4
12) Kuš #12, 178pg influential Latvian anthology. Includes 4-page story “Future Medicine” | $13
13) Miles By Bicycle 11″ x 14″ print (cream) | $25
14) Miles By Bicycle 11″ x 14″ print (blue) | $25
15) President’s Day 3″ x 7″ print (long out of print) | $10
16) The Fates, So Cruel, So Kind 3″ x 4″ print | $6
17) 26 Cartoonists 11″ x 14″ print | $5
18) Growing Up 11″ x 14″ print | $25
19) Tyrannosaurus Bats 11″ x 14″ print | $25
20) The Greatest Explorer 11″ x 14″ print | $25
21) Small Drawings, 48 page booklet | $5
22) Greatest Explorer 8″ x 10″ print | $15
23) Miles By Bicycle 8″ x 10″ print | $15
24) The Greatest Explorer 8″ x 10″ print | $10
25) Tyrannosaurus Bats 8″ x 10″ print | $15
26) Growing Up 8″ x 10″ print | $15
27) The Sweet Smell of Success 8″ x 10″ print | $15
28) The Treehouse of Your Dreams 8″ x 10″ print (out of print) | $10
29) Don’t Let You Get You 8″ x 10″ print | $10
30) A Letter To Hitmonchan set of 2 8″ x 10″ prints | $20
31) Little Dreams, Big Bookcase 8″ x 8″ print | $10
32) Deep In The Heart of the Forest 8″ x 8″ print | $10
33) King Mountain 8″ x 10″ print | $10
Whew! I’m going to add either more items, or smaller iterations, at each multiple of $150 received. So I might throw in weird stuff, like original art, or a painting, or whatever. When/if I do, I’ll do the drawings in sequence, and allow the winner(s) to choose which package they’d like, with subsequent winners selecting from the remaining packages. But to be clear, everything listed here is ONE prize.
Just click this link to donate at least $1. And thanks in advance for sharing this, if you have the time or inclination. I appreciate it! And good luck!
EDIT: Adding additional giveaways. As mentioned above, I’ll pick a winner and then allow them to pick from all available groups of items, then pick another winner and repeat the process with remaining items, and so forth until I’ve been bled totally dry of prizes. We’ll call the “big” giveaway “#1.”
#2: ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW DRAWING
Created for the 2012 “Crazy 4 Cult” show at Gallery1988. Ink on Strathmore 500 bristol board, 14″ x 17″ inches.
#3: “FUTURE MEDICINE” COMPLETE STORY ORIGINAL ART
4-page story from Kuŝ #12, “Future Medicine”. Art on 2 pieces of 8.5″ x 11″ Strathmore 500 bristol board. If you haven’t already gotten Kuŝ #12, then you’re cheating yourself. It was co-edited by Annie Koyama, and contains a who’s who of North American talent, but the real stars of the book are the Europeans. Most of my favorite stories in it are by people who I’ve never heard of, and that’s saying something considering that most of the people I have heard of in there are some of my very favorite cartoonists. Buy it here.
#4: 4 BIG PRINTS.
One each of the above 4 prints, all 11″ x 14.” Includes a Robocop print, Growing Up, The Greatest Explorer, and Miles By Bicycle “cream version.
5) 4 SMALL PRINTS
1 each of the following 8″ x 10″ prints: Growing Up, Miles By Bicycle, The Greatest Explorer, and Don’t Let You Get You.
6) ORIGINAL ILLUSTRATIONS FROM THE BLUE CROSS + NEW DRAWING + BOOK
This is 3 original pen and ink illustrations for Scout Books “Good Ink” edition of G.K. Chesterton’s short story The Blue Cross. Laid out on a piece of 8.5″ x 11″ Strathmore 500 bristol. I’ll include a copy of the book, and I’ll draw a character from the story of my choice in that fourth blank box for you. You’re welcome!
7) 5 BOOKS
Includes the wayyyy out of print Diary Comics #1, the just out of print #2, the not at all out of print 3 and 4, and the out of print Dharbin 1-2 Collected Edition. I’ll sketch in all of them for you.
8) LAST OF ALL, A WATERCOLOR PORTRAIT
This is something that I think I’m going to sell for $100 a throw once I get caught up on commissions, so this will be a good test run. You can pick any person in the world, either by a) sending me the name of a celebrity, or b) I’ll draw you or a person you know. If it’s the celebrity option, just give me their name. If it’s the person-you-know option, you send me ONE photograph of the person’s face. ONE! I’ll do a head-and-shoulders ink and watercolor portrait on a 8″ x 10″ piece of bristol. The actual drawing will be pretty small, because that’s how I like to work. My goal will be to make an interesting drawing that looks good, so you don’t get any guarantees on likeness. In fact, you get no guarantees at all! Also I won’t draw anything nasty or gross or overtly sexual. Keep it classy, class!
Okay! 9pm tonight!